LMS Archives Online: Conditions of Use
Persons wishing to use the LMS archives must apply to the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology for permission and must agree in writing to the following conditions:
- The user understands that permission to examine manuscript material (including photographs, maps, and other archival materials), if granted, does not include permission to publish the contents of the manuscript material, or any excerpt therefrom at any time, and that separate, written permission to publish must be made to the officer in charge of the Peabody Museum Archives, specifying the manuscript or excerpt. Publication is defined as any quotation used in a book, article, or doctoral dissertation. The user agrees to abide by the officer's decision.
- The user understands further that the Museum makes no representation that it is the owner of the copyright in its unpublished manuscripts (the official records of Harvard University excepted), and that the user is responsible for obtaining permission to publish from the owner of the copyright (the author or his/her transferees, heirs, legatees, or literary executors).
- Any reproduction made of the material in the LMS Archives is solely for the user's convenience in examining the material. The user agrees further that the reproduction will not itself be reproduced, and that it will not be examined or transferred to any other person or institution, without prior permission of the Senior Archivist of the Peabody Museum.
- The user agrees not to give anyone else access to the LMS Archives by sharing his/her user name and password.
- In consideration of being granted permission to examine the listed manuscript material(s) on the terms set forth above, the user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Harvard University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, their officers, employees and agents from and against all claims resulting from use of the manuscript made by any person asserting that (s)he is the owner of the copyright.
- The Senior Archivist of the Peabody Museum reserves the right to terminate a user's access to this web site at any time.
The application form may be downloaded and printed by clicking here ( HTML | PDF), or may be obtained by contacting the Peabody Museum archivist at the address below.
Once the application is approved, a user ID and password will be issued. Passwords expire at the end of each calendar year. Upon this expiration, approved users may request and receive new passwords without having to formally re-apply.
Routine questions concerning the web site and requests for new passwords should be addressed to Vin Steponaitis, Director, Research Laboratories of Archaeology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3120 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Questions concerning applications, permission to publish, and other such matters should be addressed to Senior Archivist, Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138 (email: email@example.com).
[LMS Archives Home]