North Carolina Archaeological Time
The Contact Period in North Carolina
OVERVIEW || COAST || CENTRAL PIEDMONT || NORTH CENTRAL PIEDMONT || MOUNTAINS
The Contact Period in the Central Piedmont (A.D. 1600 - 1710)
Starting in 1983, the University of North Carolina's second Siouan Project succeeded in finding sites of the Siouan tribes who interacted with the European explorers, traders, and settlers who moved into the North Carolina backcountry during the last half of the seventeenth century and early eighteenth century.
In the central Piedmont three phases provide a detailed chronology of changes during the Contact period.
The Mitchum phase (A.D. 1600 - 1670)
The Mitchum phase, located in Chatham county adjacent the Haw River is attributed to the Sissipahaw Indians in the early part of the 17th-century.
The Jenrette phase (A.D. 1600 - 1680)
The Jenrette site, along the Eno River near Hillsborough, appears to be a village occupied by the Shakori Indians and visited by John Lederer in 1670.
The Fredricks phase (A.D. 1680 - 1710)
The Fredricks phase, along the Eno River near Hillsborough, appears to be the remains of Occaneechi Town, home of the Occaneechis after they moved from the Roanoke valley in 1676. The town was visited by John Lawson in 1701.